[time-nuts] GPS seconds conversion on an Arduino

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon May 15 21:57:46 UTC 2017

That Chinese guy selling boards shipped for $1.67 is buying the boards,
paying for postage and 10% commission to eBay and STILL earning some
income.    It's an insane price and the unit is dramatically more powerful
than Arduino and $1.67 is so close to "free" that I don't care about the
difference.

But if you are looking for the simplest thing you can find, the genuine
made in Europe Arduino Uno for $30 is that.  All of the "how to use your
Arduino" examples assume you have an "Uno"  and those examples are targeted
at people who can't read schematics so they use pictures of components and
of the wire.  With an Uno you can match up the pictures to make say a LED
blink.     But then you pay $30 for a slow 8-bit computer with very little
memory.

This is the level of instruction you find with Arduino
http://fritzing.org/media/fritzing-repo/projects/l/led-blinking....
<http://fritzing.org/media/fritzing-repo/projects/l/led-blinking-using-arduino/images/fritzing_bb.png>

But on the "mbed" tutorial you'd expect this
https://developer.mbed.org/cookbook/Motor

Which level do you need?     I've used the $1.67 part with both Arduino and
mbed.

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 1:49 PM, Ben Hall <kd5byb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris and list,
>
> On 5/15/2017 1:22 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
>
>> Are you still going for Sidereal time?  If so that is floating point
>>

> I'm not sure how Sidereal time came up...it wasn't one of my goals and
> after reading the discussion, it's going to be way past what I think I can
> understand, never mind program onto *anything*.  ;)
>
> This is my favorite under $2 boards now - http://r.ebay.com/9UasSq
>>

> That blows my mind!  $1.62 shipped.  Amazing!  I read what you wrote on
> different boards and I've got a lot of poking around and reading to do. The
> idea of dropping a file onto a USB-looking drive is very appealing to me.
> And they seem to be very cheap.  To be honest, being more towards the
> "idiot" end of the embedded programming spectrum, I'm really thinking I
> should stay with slower, simpler, and more well documented stuff.  If I
> knew what I was doing...I'd probably be ordering up some of cheaper, more
> off-the-beaten-path stuff that's way less expensive.
>
> One more bit of advice.  Buy a logic analyzer.   I was using one today and
>>

> I've been on the lookout for a dedicated bench one at a good price...but
> nothing has tickled my fancy.  I'm going to order one of those $10 Saleae
> clones this evening.  That Saleae clone analyzer would be just the ticket
> to see if the time information is coming from the serial port before the
> 1PPS tick.  This is what is written in the little TruePosition information
> we have and would be nice to verify.  :)
>
> Thanks much and 73,
> ben, kd5byb

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California