[time-nuts] Machining some aluminum help!

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri May 19 21:35:16 UTC 2017

Yes, threaded inserts.  There are many kinds but they are used almost
universally for cases where the material to be threaded is soft, like
aluminum.   They also eliminate or reduce galvanic corrosion which is an
issue with steel screws in aluminum.  (that said, as long as you keep water
away you are OK.)    Still these inserts are the "class" way to go and will
save some broken taps.

As for a seal, it is hard to beat o-rings.  A proper designed o-ring seal
does not need much clamping pressure as it depends on the pressure inside
to force the ring in place and hold it there.

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Lincoln <lincoln at ampmonkeys.com> wrote:

> > There are a lot of variables involved. Run the screws in and out of the
> aluminum a number of times and
> > the holes will fail first ….There are other gotchas as well.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> This is where helicoils come in to play. They are used a lot on the CVD
> furnaces that I used to make parts for. They are not just for un-buggering
> a thread. They would be installed form the get go and could be replaced
> should something gall.
>
> Link

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California