[time-nuts] Machining some aluminum help!

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri May 19 21:45:27 UTC 2017

I worked on a project like this once.  No screws at all.  Rather then a 0.1
PSI over pressure. the interior was flush with dry gas then pumped out with
to  a crude vacuum with a hand pump.  Air pressure alone force the cover
plate on.  OK a couple screws where there just to aid in assembly but the
cheap $12 hand pump was good enough.

"high vacuum" requires expensive equipment and is a black art but "crude
vacuum" is easy, easier then holding a pressure because the forces are
pushing the seal together for you.

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 2:46 PM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 5/18/17 1:34 PM, cdelect at juno.com wrote:
>
>> Well that generated a lot of advice and thanks for it!
>> I think I might do it myself and go with a 1/2" hole depth and 1/4"
>> threaded depth.
>> I'll get some of that Aluminum Tap magic, some new taps and new drill
>> bits.
>> Good idea about drilling the end plates first and drilling thru to match.
>> Between the end plate and the tube is a gasket that needs to seal
>> pressure and moisture tight. That's why I used 5 per side.
>>

> I would make the end plate "real thick",with a machined groove for the
> o-ring, and use some sort of latches to hold it in place, rather than "lots
> 'o screws".  Unless you've got a real tight space constraint. How much
> pressure do you have to hold? That will determine the clamping force needed
> on your gasket (and potentially, on your fasteners).  Do you need the full
> 4.5x4.5" inside clear space? A 1/4-20 bolt in the corner might be a good
> way to go.
>
> There's also inexpensive surplus vacuum equipment around, as well as run
> of the mill plumbing. Unless Steel (stainless or not) isn't an option.
>

>> Will let you know how it turns out.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Corby

Chris Albertson