[time-nuts] GNSS Disciplined Clock

Mike Cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Sun May 28 07:34:38 UTC 2017

> Le 27 mai 2017 à 21:26, Ebrahim Roghanizad <e.roghanizad at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Dear Chris
>
> As far as I know, atmospheric effect can not be compensated by looking at
> satellites from all over the sky and averaging, since it does not have a
> random nature, rather it introduces bias to the solution. For example, if
> atmospheric effect is not removed, one can not get a relative position
> accuracy of sub-meter in long distances even by employing the method of
> RTK. All I said here is about position. Now, I would like to know about the
> output of time in this condition. What is the utmost reachable accuracy for
> a timing output from a GNSS receiver? I do not mean the precision that
> reflects the noise behavior. I think that the best result is obtained when
> the receiver supports dual frequency in order be able to deal with
> ionospheric delay. Am I right? In that case, is there any GNSS receiver
> with this ability?

 I don’t know of any and over time have been looking for one . I guess there is no market for a pure GNSS solution. Current L1 only timing receivers can offer down to +/-6ns accuracy with quantization error data allowing correction of their PPS output down to the stability of the GPS signal. Using that data and available cheap delay line chips the 1PPS accuracy deliverable can be reduced to around +/-2-3ns .
It appears to be cheaper to use just the L1 derived time to lock better oscillators for better precision than that.