[time-nuts] Holdover, RTC for Pi as NTP GPS source

Trent Piepho tpiepho at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 02:44:35 UTC 2017

Some of the DS chips have a square wave input that can be fed from a GPS
PPS and the RTC will discipline itself.  It can also produce a PPS when the
GPS stops.

The question is, is NTP's holdover on the system clock better than NTP
disciplining the system clock with an RTC PPS.  I'd guess not.

Forget about accurate time from the RTC's registers.  The slowness and
variably in I2C is quite poor and most of them don't even have sub-second
resolution when read or written.