[time-nuts] Holdover, RTC for Pi as NTP GPS source

Leo Bodnar leo at leobodnar.com
Thu Nov 2 21:45:56 UTC 2017

This is, essentially, how modern delta-sigma DACs work while achieving 24-bit and higher precision using only a single bit converter internally and a lot of clever digital filtering.
Multiple loops are what would be called "higher order" in delta-sigma parlance.
Delta-sigma tech is not poor man's DAC - it has properties that other conversion methods can't achieve, e.g. noise shaping and trivial aliases rejection.
I suspect delta-sigma body of knowledge can be applied almost wholesale to this seemingly silly oscillator concept.
Did I just repeat something trivial that has been discussed to death here before?
Leo