[time-nuts] Continously drifting HP 10811...

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Nov 9 10:45:57 UTC 2017

Hi,

For better oscillators I let them sit for at least a week, but
preferably a month, before making any judgements on them. The readings
taken is really just their warm-up behavior. Wider phase-noise can be
measured earlier, but very close-in and ADEV/MDEV stabillty, not so much.

Hadamard Deviation can be used to look somewhat below the drift, but in
practice it doesn't fully compensate it out, but it allows to peak below
the drift limit. A drift post-compensation in Stable32 for instance may
work, but loose the first heat-up part as it will confuse the estimator.

Anyway, for this reason I have a couple of oscillator heated on the
labbench so that they are ready when I need to play with them.

Cheers,
Magnus