[time-nuts] Favorite counters (current production)?

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Nov 12 17:12:20 UTC 2017

On 10 November 2017 at 16:37, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> There is no perfect answer. I’d go with the 53230 simply because it
> *might* be supported
> the longest.
>
> Bob

If I had to take a bet, I would say the SR620 will be supported longer.
Stanford Research seem to be selling the same products they have for
decades. I started my Ph.D. in about 1994, and bought what was a very new
product - the SR830 lock in amplifier.

http://www.thinksrs.com/products/SR810830.htm

23 years later, it is still a current product.

Stanford Research also sell a couple of LCR meters

http://www.thinksrs.com/products/SR715720.htm

The SR720 looks remarkably like the long obsolete HP E4925A LCR meter.

There's no doubt in my mind that Stanford Research sell their products much
longer than HP/Agilent/Keysight. Of course, that does mean Stanford
Research are using older technology.

I would add, when I have contacted Keysight about obsolete products they
have always been helpful. When I contacted Stanford Research to ask what
was the latest firmware for an SR620, I was ignored. They also ignored some
other email I sent them. So their support does not seem as good as
Keysight, but I assume, with persistence, one could get support on a
current product.

Dave