[time-nuts] Absolute phase

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Nov 17 19:23:20 UTC 2017

Hi

Most GPSDO’s use a divider to get straight from the 10 MHz to the PPS. There are some that
derive both the PPS and the 10 MHz off a higher frequency, they are not common in the eBay
world (yet). The divider is going to have a fixed delay based on it’s design. That might be 35 ns,
it might be 3.5 ns. It all depends on how they did this or that. There easily could be an inversion
that moves everything 50 ns.

If the GPSDO wanders around over a 30 ns range, that’s a pretty big phase shift at 10 MHz. If
they both are doing this you are up to (maybe) half a cycle or more.

Now toss in devices that “skip” a 10 MHz cycle to keep the PPS aligned. This is pretty uncommon
in normal operation. Uncommon does not mean that it never happens.

So, if you have two of the same model / same firmware GPSDO’s, the 10 MHz phase is probably
“in the ballpark”. It’s certainly not close in terms of < 1 degree or something like that. If you have
GPSDO’s from multiple outfits …. who knows what you will see.

Bob