[time-nuts] Recommendation for cheap GBIP adapter for Linux

Angus not.again at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 20 08:17:07 UTC 2017

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 20:21:13 +0000, you wrote:

>The Galvant adapter appears to use a very similar protocol to the Prologix,
>but I'm unsure if it's exactly compatible.
>
>There have been large numbers of HP adapters on ebay - they're generally
>thought to be clones of varying quality.
>
>http://www.galvant.ca/#!/store
>http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flood-of-new-agilent-82357b-gpib-usb-adaptors-on-ebay-the-real-deal/150/

Hi,

The commands in the Galvant one do seem to have been done to be quite
like the Prologix. I tried one of them 2 or 3 years ago because they
were temptingly cheap at the time, but could not get it working
consistently.

As far as I can remember, single commands and short strings would
often work for me, but longer strings and regular data like readings
every second were very unreliable. They seem to work for some folk but
not for others, which is often the story for cheap low volume ones.

In the end I gave up and bought a Prologix - which appears to be a
common end result of buying and wasting time on cheaper ones.

Angus.