[time-nuts] ***SPAM*** Re: Why discipline Rubidium oscillator?

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 10:24:51 UTC 2017

Oops, I should have mentioned:  The unit was a Symmetricom MHM-2010 (I hope
I got that right), except that it was built before the company was bought by
Symmetricom (which was later bought by Micro-Semi in turn).

This is an active maser, meaning a self-sustaining oscillator whose gain
medium
was a volume of hydrogen atoms (at low pressure) maintained in a population-
inverted state by squirting a thin stream of state-selected H atoms into a
glass
bulb, and simultaneously pumping on the bulb to maintain a low pressure.
The
inside of the bulb was treated so that the collisions with the surface did
not
usually cause a quantum state change of the H atom involved.  I've read that
the average excited atom typically "survived" a large number of such wall
collisions before being "consumed" by contributing a quantum of energy to
the oscillating mode; this has always amazed me.

So the primary frequency-determining mechanism is the collision-broadened
line width of the gain mechanism. However, the cavity resonance exhibits a
noticeable frequency-pulling effect, and our maser has a feedback loop that
strives to keep the cavity tuned to the center of the medium's gain
profile.
But I think this loop is not a tight loop, ergo not completely successful.

Anyway, a small amount of RF power (a fraction of a pW as I understand it)
is extracted from the cavity as the useful output.  This drives a frequency
synthesizer to make a useful standard frequency output.  The "divide ratio"
of that synthesizer is adjustable in fine steps, with one step being a
fractional
frequency change of about 7E-17.

I've long wondered what causes the slow frequency drift, typically amounting
to about 3E-14 over a time span of several months.

Dana