[time-nuts] Next upgrade

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Thu Nov 23 18:18:35 UTC 2017

The Next upgrade has touched several subjects we deal with on a dayle
basis. Allow mw to add my thoughts. First we are time nuts trying within our
limits to advance time and frequency generation and measurement with
affordable  resources. We are at least a factor four orders of magnitude behind  the
big boys in performance and  combined available resources.
As a market we are to small potato's so products tailored to our needs are
limited and are getting less. An example SRS FS740 a nice box but no help
to get  past E-12. New GPSDO's for Telecom do not have 5 or 10 MHz output.
PRS-10 a nice Rb, originally intended for FRS replacement has ADC and DCA
control limeting it to 2 E-12. I have one, have not said anything because I
want to get rid of it.
The question of why Rb. For our work there are only two reasons. Not living
 next to NIST the only precise frequency reference is GPS. To overcome its
limits  you need long time averaging. Aging compared to a OCXO is orders of
magnitude  less. Second because of aging and tuning range a 16 bit DAC will
do the job.  There was recently discussion of the use of the LTC1655 which
is still my # 1  choice. What was not mentioned on the 1650 is that in needs
a external reference  discontinued and double ling the cost. 18 bits would
be nicer but we have not  found one affordable. Using a modified Shera with 1
E-14 steps yields a  range up to 6.4 E-10. We are presently running three
Tbolts, standard, OSA 8600  and the Efratom M100 with 40 000 seconds and 6
E-17 per uV direct C field drive  through a 10 K resistor. Temperature,
pressure and some start up issues make it  a less desirable option.For temperature
and pressure we have an interface board,  but automatic recovery after
power or GPS loss is not there after two weeks.  That is why we keep going back
to 1655/Shera. Going to 6 E-17 keeps the jumps we  all see below ! E-13.
Attila recently caught up with me on my Europe trip at  Juerg's home in
Switzerland and can tell you about all our projects. Using the  standard Tbolt we
also showed him the consistent jumps with a Tracor 527E and a  Cesium
reference.
Yes doing a Cesium GPSDO again with 1655/Shera is doable but the question
has to be: is it necessary. I worked with Richard McCorkle on it 4 years
ago.  The question is does it make sense. My HP5061B with the new smaller tube
shows  no aging but my GPS measuring capabilities are limited to 1 E-12. We
have  decided to monitor 1 pps from a Tbolt against a 1pps derived from our
respective  Cs and if necessary manually adjust.. To do it with le least
amount of equipment  we decided to take a PICTIC II a divider chain and a
custom V drive  using USB stick and blue tooth monitoring low cost, no fan and
low power. I  never built a PICTIC but did combine Richard's and my boards for
cost reason.  Bill Riley did an extensive evaluation and recommended to
consider 4 layers.  This was the first time I looked at the board. Richard used
schematic  capture resulting in no ground plane and long ground runs not
what you want when  you chase nsec. I took a look and decided 4 layers is not
necessary but was able  to add a nice ground plane. I have boards of PICTIC,
divider and V drive. Right  now we still have work to do on M100/FRK GPSDO
and the high resolution Austron  counter. If some one wants to build a unit,
please contact me off list, if I am  convinced you will do it, I will send
you the boards free of charge.
Richard did a PICTIC III and was working on a 4 and I was working on a 5.
Sadly contact with him has stopped, the last correspondence was two years
ago,  he had fallen and broken some ribs and had prostate cancer. His last
words  where, he would get back with me after health was back under control. I
have  tried what I did with Brooks, send a letter with USPS which resulted
in Brooks Wife responding, you know the details, no response from Fairbanks.
Has  any one heard from Richard?  He did a lot of work for us, brilliant, I
 would ask a question, because of the time zone the typical next day
response was  working PIC code.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 11/22/2017 7:26:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,