[time-nuts] Next upgrade

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Nov 27 00:52:50 UTC 2017

Hi

The “gotcha” with compensated devices is that there can be interesting
breakpoints or decoupling to the sensor. Those show up more if the compensation
is working very hard to get the job done. Put another way - if you start at 1x10^-9/C
and compensate to 1x10^-11/C that is very different than starting at 3x10^-11/C.
A pretty good Rb or DOCXO would be a 1x10^-10 -30 to +70 spec. That would get you
into the 1x10^-12/C range. A 1x10^-9 part over the same range would be a good single
oven or a lower spec Rb. One always needs to be careful with those sort of translations.
They may be optimistic by a factor or 3 or 6 or ….

Bob