[time-nuts] Allan variance by sine-wave fitting

Mattia Rizzi mattia.rizzi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 22:04:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

>To make the point a bit more clear. The above means that noise with
a PSD of the form 1/f^a for a>=1 (ie flicker phase, white frequency
and flicker frequency noise), the noise (aka random variable) is:
1) Not independently distributed
2) Not stationary
3) Not ergodic

I think you got too much in theory. If you follow striclty the statistics
theory, you get nowhere.
You can't even talk about 1/f PSD, because Fourier doesn't converge over
infinite power signals.
In fact, you are not allowed to take a realization, make several fft and
claim that that's the PSD of the process. But that's what the spectrum
analyzer does, because it's not a multiverse instrument.
Every experimentalist suppose ergodicity on this kind of noise, otherwise
you get nowhere.

cheers,
Mattia