[time-nuts] inexpensive, black box, GPS or NTP based TTL time capture?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Oct 19 01:02:30 UTC 2017

Hi

One of the big shocks shopping for some of this stuff is that the single piece price may be
5X  the “volume price”. That’s not true of everybody, but it’s true of a lot of vendors. This sort
of thing does not apply only to GPSDO’s.

On top of that, we get used to buying some items for “salvage” prices that are well below
the original volume price. A GPSDO that we buy on eBay for $40 may have sold originally
for $500 in volume. The single piece price (20 or 30 years ago) could have been $3,000.

You could argue that this does not make any sense. You could also wonder how any get out
into the market with that sort of pricing. The answer may well be that if you are a large OEM
already doing a million dollars a year worth of business with the outfit, you can get a “loaner”
for evaluation.

Bob