[time-nuts] Distribution divider/amplifier for 10MHz GPSDO

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Oct 23 16:45:34 UTC 2017

List -- Don is having email trouble, but here's his posting:

----------

From: donaldbcollie at gmail.com
Date: Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 1:38 AM
Subject:   Distribution divider/amplifier for 10MHz GPSDO

Hello group. I`m intending to distribute, via 50 Ohm coax, frequency
reference signals to my test equipment in my test bay [no relation to eBay,
except that most of the equipment came from there]. I`ll be using RG58/U
coax, and 50 ohm terminations, with the highest reasonable signal level
reticulated. Given that the name of the game seems to be to avoid any
severe reduction in SNR of the 10MHz signal comming out of the GPSDO, by
the logic dividers, and impedance lowering buffer amplifiers, what
considerations should be made regarding the choice of logic families, and
transistors to be used? The frequencies required by the test equipment vary
from 500kHz to 10MHz, and amplitudes from 100mV P-P sinewave, to 5V peak
squarewave. How good must the PSU be to stop the rot getting worse, and is
1/f noise in the active devices important? Your thoughts will be
appreciated.

P.S.: How accurate is the Trimble Thunderbolt for this
Collie.