[time-nuts] I've been thinking about a GPS receiver experiment

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Oct 26 14:33:06 UTC 2017

Hi

Most GPSDO’s do some sort of “slew” to an average DAC value when they go into holdover.
Freezing at the last value is not (in general) a good idea. Often things degrade before there
is a dropout. Your final DAC value may not be a good one to maximize holdover duration.

Some setups try to “learn” temperature or aging. That gets fed into the DAC when in holdover.
The value of this depends a lot on the quality of the training process. Separating this and that
input to get a good value for a specific parameter is rarely done with good accuracy. The exception
to that rule are oscillators that have a large TC or a very high drift rate. In most cases those are not
the ones you pick for a GPSDO.

Bob