[time-nuts] Designing an embedded precision GPS time server

Leo Bodnar leo at leobodnar.com
Fri Oct 27 19:27:53 UTC 2017

Hi Nick,

Last year I have designed an NTP server with sub-microsecond turnaround accuracy/jitter at fully saturated 100K+ packets/sec traffic (full 100Mb wire speed) that costs just £250 from stock.
Its holdover performance on signal loss is in the order of 4-5ms/day.
https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_70&product_id=92

If you can come up with a cheaper and higher performance alternative I am very interested in licensing your design.

When you come to testing I can highly recommend placing your prototypes in public NTP pool and asking the admins to add it to .ch zone - you are guaranteed to get full 110kpps traffic spikes that will help to flush out bugs.
Just a few devices collectively served 1.1 trillion packets in less than a year http://leobodnar.com/LeoNTP/ (and have been through the infamous snapchat incident.)

Jitter and holdover need to be tested on a controlled LAN segment - I can highly recommend contacting Denny Page on this list and sending him a unit to test.
He built sophisticated and highly tuned testing system that tracks timing jitter and offset down to dozens of nanoseconds accuracy.
Denny is vendor-neutral and provided honest and fair feedback while I was developing my unit.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
Leo