[time-nuts] Designing an embedded precision GPS time server

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Oct 27 21:13:37 UTC 2017

Hoi Leo,

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 20:27:53 +0100
Leo Bodnar <leo at leobodnar.com> wrote:

> Last year I have designed an NTP server with sub-microsecond turnaround accuracy/jitter at fully saturated 100K+ packets/sec traffic (full 100Mb wire speed) that costs just £250 from stock.
> Its holdover performance on signal loss is in the order of 4-5ms/day.
> https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_70&product_id=92

Can you tell a little bit how your device looks like on the inside?
What do you use as microprocessor? What as GPS receiver? From the
hold-over spec, I would guess you are using a TCXO, which one is it?
What do you use to get the timing of the PPS pulse? Do you apply
saw-tooth correction?

> If you can come up with a cheaper and higher performance alternative I am
> very interested in licensing your design.

Getting better performance is not that difficult. Getting it cheaper is.
An OCXO (new, not from ebay) and a timing GPS receiver would already cost
something around 100-150€. That's one third to half of the cost of your
complete device already. Using an OCXO from ebay and you can do it quite
easily.

> When you come to testing I can highly recommend placing your prototypes in
> public NTP pool and asking the admins to add it to .ch zone - you are
> guaranteed to get full 110kpps traffic spikes that will help to flush out bugs.

Why specifically the .ch zone? IIRC you are located in the uk.

I am running an NTP server in the .ch pool and have not yet noticed
any large spikes. (ok, my monitoring is rather crude and if the spike
is very short lived, i wouldnt notice it)

			Attila Kinali

--
You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
They don't alters their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to