[time-nuts] vectron to be acquired by MicroSemi

Vlad time at patoka.org
Sat Oct 28 17:53:33 UTC 2017

> For those of us who tend to use legacy, older products, perhaps spares
> or surplus (time-nuts list members, and flight hardware designers
> alike), this can present a problem.  (Because *we* are also faced with
> pressure to dispose of all that old paper and records, either from
> cohabitants or managers).  This is particularly the case when we're
> building up a breadboard or demonstration - I've built an awful lot of
> stuff at JPL using spare parts and components with date codes in the
> 60s and 70s - it's not like a 2-4 GHz directional coupler made in 1964
> works any different from one made in 2014.
>
> Of course, the lack of data sheets for *semiconductor* modules and
> parts from the 1980s and 1990s is probably a boon in the long run,
> although a pain in the short run.  Amplifiers, mixers, etc. are all a
> LOT better today (in general) than they were 20-30 years ago.  (Of
> course, I *do* still have a bunch of WJ parts sitting around for
> breadboarding)

This is exactly my point of view. For example, I feel that Symmetricom
was much "open" in terms to share the tech. documentation and some
software.
Once, I was struggle to get response from Microsemi sending them direct
requests about the product (SYNCPOINT PCIE-1000 card, p/n 089-00376-000
Rev 3). And only fellow time-nuts make it happens that I am getting
right person to talk. There was no public resources available on
Microsemi WEB site. Long story short - I was happy to get the Linux
drivers and software for that card. But I am still struggle for the the
microcode update (I have some "beta" version). Of course the firmware
could be different story and it is not for free. But at least it would
be nice to have that confirmation.

Speaking about Vectron - its also not easy to get tech. docs for the old
versions of OCXO.

--
WBW,

V.P.