[time-nuts] NEO-7M various modes

Thomas Petig thomas at petig.eu
Sun Oct 29 08:10:05 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 05:27:01PM -0700, jimlux wrote:
> On 10/28/17 3:24 PM, Wayne Holder wrote:
> > uBlox has a utility called u-center
> > <https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/u-center-windows> that's a free
> > download.  You can use it to configure the various output options (and
> > enable and disable different messages) and a then save this config back to
> > the module as the start up default.
> >
> Downloaded it, hooked up the modules, found that they won't quite get a fix
> indoors next to the window, but if I take it outside, it will. Oddly, the
> SNR on the SVs is good enough, but there's something preventing the fix from
> happening.
>
> Maybe it's because it's a cold start, it needed to run for a while to
> acquire the almanac or something.
Could be multi-path. Line of sight is blocked and the RX is receiving
reflections, that traveled a bit longer. Thus, solving the navigation
equations fails, or sometimes even worse, gives a wrong position.
Walls, windows and water surfaces provide a multi-path signal with
rather good SNR.

/Thomas, SA6CID