[time-nuts] 1pps isolation

walter shawlee 2 walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
Fri Sep 1 20:24:39 UTC 2017

to get galvanic isolation, how about just using a pulse or RF transformer?
the 1pps tick itself is very narrow, even though the PRF is slow, so a good quality
pulse transformer/balun, or a few turns on a good fast ferrite core or similar
should work fine.

I can't speak to the resulting adev degradation, but fast ferrites are common,
and hopefully the
resulting rise/fall time degradation would not be too ugly or asymmetrical.  I
have used off the shelf MCL 50 ohm 1:1 isolation transformers to pipe 10Mhz
around the lab where ground loops and distance are an issue, and seen no obvious
timing problems as a result.

by the way, I have several racks of multiport 1pps buffers, from some kind of
networked timing standard, they are looking for a new home if anybody can use them.

all the best,
walter

--
Walter Shawlee 2, President
Sphere Research Corporation
walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
WS2: We're all in one boat, no matter how it looks to you.
Love is all you need. (John Lennon)
But, that doesn't mean other things don't come in handy. (WS2)