[time-nuts] GPS Antenna Feed Line Decision

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Sep 3 12:42:02 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 18:48:52 -0500
Clay Autery <cautery at montac.com> wrote:

> Not sure why you and the other guy both recommended RG-6 75-Ohm cable
> and F-connectors, when the nominal impedance of literally everything
> else in the system is 50 Ohm, including the antenna and the HP GPS
> Distribution Amp....  And then adding N to F adapters?

Because it doesn't matter in a receive only application.
The transmission coefficient for a 75R<->50R step is 0.8, or -1.9dB.
In return, you can get a much better cable for half the price with
less damping. Not to talk about all the other bits and pieces that
are readily available for 75R F connectors. Like lightning arrestors
and grounding blocks. And please, include at least a lightning arrestor
at the point where the cable enters the building!

> Doesn't make any sense unless one has $$ as a top priority, already has
> a spool of RG-6 quad shield, etc...  but I specifically stated that $$
> is not a top priority....  Not really even in the top 5 or 10...

If you have more than enough money, then by all means go for the 50R
solution :-)

> Strain relief solution:  Really depends upon which cable stock I end up
> using....  Obviously, the larger the cable, the more weight will be
> suspended under the antenna (approx. 38 feet, depending on where I pull
> the cable out of the mast at the bottom.  (The mast is on a tilt-base of
> my own construction....  which brings up a valid consideration.  it is
> already a chore to walk the mast up manually.  The more weight added at
> the top and inside the mast, the more difficult a manual walk-up will
> be.  I'd prefer to keep this a manual tilt for now...  at least until I
> add the tri-band vertical dipole)
>
> LMR-400 would be less than 4 lbs total weight...  I'd likely suspend the
> cable by the connector alone. (although, it wouldn't be JUST the
> crimp...  The connector would have at a minimum, 1 layer of
> adhesive-lined shrink tube... probably 2, with the second, overlapping.
> Then a nice wrap of self-fusing tape and then electrical tape over that.
> Even LMR-600 could be suspended by the connector alone, at 5 lbs max in
> the 38 foot max vertical section.
> I do have several methods of secondary suspension within the top (and/or
> second) mast section though if I decide I need it.

You do not want to have 2kg of weight on a RF connector.
Even if it will hold now, over time material creep will lead to
intermediate faults. Better use a dedicated strain relieve. This
can be something as simple as a wire wound around the cable that
holds the weight.

			Attila Kinali

--
You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
They don't alters their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to