[time-nuts] GPS Antenna Feed Line Decision

Wes wes at triconet.org
Sun Sep 3 14:09:37 UTC 2017

On 9/2/2017 4:48 PM, Clay Autery wrote:
> Thanks for the response...
>
> Not sure why you and the other guy both recommended RG-6 75-Ohm cable
> and F-connectors, when the nominal impedance of literally everything
> else in the system is 50 Ohm, including the antenna and the HP GPS
> Distribution Amp....  And then adding N to F adapters?
As "the other guy" (I think) let me say that the impedance mismatch is
immaterial and in my case I have one GPSDO with an SMA connector and another
with a BNC and an antenna with an SMA.  So I "adapt" no matter what I do.
Because I understand the cascaded noise figure equations, I know that I don't
need an active distribution amplifier to feed just these two devices, so a $5.00
"F" connector splitter is adequate.
(https://www.markertek.com/product/201-232/2-way-2-4ghz-90db-satellite-splitter-dc-power-passing-to-one-port)
> Doesn't make any sense unless one has $$ as a top priority, already has
> a spool of RG-6 quad shield, etc...  but I specifically stated that $$
> is not a top priority....  Not really even in the top 5 or 10...
Then by all means you should use L-band waveguide. :-)

Wes