[time-nuts] Very large X9.2 solar flare.

Andy AI.egrps+tn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 04:50:57 UTC 2017

Mike Cook wrote:

> When I saw the OP I did a quick check of my GPS receivers status. One of
> them, a Jackson Labs M2M replacement (actually a U-blox M8T) had just reset
> and gone to a 111ms offset.
> Was that due to the CME?

No, not the CME.  A CME is particles of matter traveling at
non-relativistic speeds and usually takes a couple of days to reach earth.

The initial effects of a solar flare include the arrival of X-rays
(coincident with us seeing the flare), and those ionize the upper
atmosphere and cause radio blackouts.  That was what you saw the effects of.

David G. McGaw wrote:

> No, the flare also produced a CME, which is expected to reach us tomorrow
> and may (hopefully?) trigger a G-3 class geomagnetic storm.

This one surprised us and arrived earlier today (Thursday), way ahead of
schedule.  It was quite energetic.  It triggered a few instances of a G-4
(4 out of 5, "Severe") geomagnetic storm.  Also Kp=8.3.

Alas, I am unable to see any auroras yet.  :-(   Still hoping.

Regards,
Andy