[time-nuts] Resoration of 5065A - continued...

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Sep 11 16:53:34 UTC 2017

Hi

It’s been a *long* time since the 709 or 741 were “best” in any regard. I would not go with
socketed parts. I’ve seen more problems from sockets than from the parts that go into them.
Semiconductor quality / reliability has come a *long* way since the 1960’s.

How to redesign the board mostly involves figuring out what it does and how things like offset
and drift impact the overall performance. The choice in general is between very low leakage
(= high impedance) parts with high(er) offsets or very low offset parts (= low impedance) with
high(er) bias currents. Yes, there are a bunch of other things, but that’s the first branch in the
path for DC control stuff. Noise is obviously an issue, but the 709 / 741 are pretty noisy by
today’s standards.

Bob