[time-nuts] True Position GPSDP + Rb X72

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Sep 22 15:50:29 UTC 2017

Hi

Given the noise levels of typical Rb’s - use XOR gates as the mixers.

Do a either a simple LPF on the output or ignore the HF component
(each approach is a bit of a tradeoff).

Once you have the beat notes, feed them into timer inputs on your uC
chip of choice.

If you do the filters as R/C’s they are cheap. If you just re-clock, you
maybe add a flip flop or two to each channel. Total BOM for the DMTD
part of it would be < $1 not counting the OCXO.

All of the previous comments about “why would you want to do this?”
still apply. Most of the small Rb’s we can get our hands on have really
awful phase noise and spurs. That’s not true of all small Rb’s, but buying
them new in small volume at $2K each is not something most of us
are interested in doing ….

Lots of fun

Bob