[time-nuts] Better GPS coming to phones

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Thu Sep 28 15:30:24 UTC 2017

On Wed, September 27, 2017 9:38 pm, Bill Hawkins wrote:
> Sadly, it is not the phone users who will benefit. It is the advertisers
> who use your location to send targeted ads.

I doubt that knowing which side of the parking lot you are in will be of
much interest to advertisers.  It will help navigation apps with things
like determining whether you are on the access road or already on the
highway, or which of two parallel roads you are on.

In a timing context, I would hope that having a more consistent solution
to the position/time equation would reduce the PPS jitter.  It would be
really nice to see one of these low power, high precision receiver devices
used in a Thunderbolt style design that locks the chipset clock to the
derived clock to avoid hanging bridges to see if the 10x better precision
in location solution could result in 10x lower PPS jitter.

--
Chris Caudle