[time-nuts] Environmental sensor recommendations.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Apr 5 16:25:47 UTC 2018

Hi

Thermocouples are *really* low output voltage devices at “normal” temperatures.
That gets you in to fairly fancy measurement setups ( no “just strap it to an ADC
input” stuff). They also require cold junction compensation. They measure offset
temperature to that junction. You do a lot of work to get just one sensor to operate.
That can be done with various chips from various outfits. It’s still not cheap. The
net result is no more accurate or higher resolution than the other stuff we have
discussed. The place thermocouples come in are for very high or very low temperatures.
If you want to know if it’s really 2,876C, a thermistor is not what you want to use.

RTD’s are indeed very stable long term. Properly handled they can do a real good
job. They are basically a strain gauge. Mount them wrong (yes, I have a few hundred
examples of this) or treat them wrong ….. they don’t do quite as well. If you really
want to get accuracy out of them, you run a triple point cell to calibrate them before
use. Yes, this is getting off into temperature nuts territory.

Heading back a bit to the original question:

What *does* impact your frequency or time standard?

1) Temperature
2) Pressure
3) Humidity
4) Load
5) Supply voltage
6) Acceleration (gravity)
7) Stress / strain (bending)
8) Time ( aging )
9) EMI ( injection locking )

I suppose that list could go on for quite a ways. The obvious one on the list that
has not been addressed yet is voltage.

Bob