[time-nuts] Environmental sensor recommendations

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 18:50:15 UTC 2018

I will comment on a couple postings:

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Tisha Hayes <tisha.hayes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would suggest that if you are looking at taking temperature sensor data
> and attempting to control some type of heating/cooling device that you
> implement a PID loop for stability.

I have implemented a PID controller with PWM output for a Peltier Cooler
for what is basically an oven to test TCXO boards. Performance is pretty
good, holding the temperature to within tenths of a degree.
I tend to connect sensors or sensor boards to an Arduino and output data to
and take commands from the serial port. The Arduino does the "real time"
stuff and the fancier stuff is implemented on a PC.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 6:20 AM, Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>Hi
>
>If you want something that is pre-calibrated, then the IC based parts are
the way to go.

I have used thermocouples with MAX31855 thermocouple interface boards and
also have used DS18B20s, which are quite interesting "IC" parts. You can
connect several in parallel, and they use the "One Wire" protocol, easy to
implement, saving wires. The problem with them is there are lots of
counterfeits out there. I bought them from a random supplier and they did
not work correctly. I contacted the manufacturer and they confirmed they
never made any with the date code that was printed on them. I bought some
from Digikey and they looked different and worked fine. Luckily I was able
to return the bad ones.

Regards,

Mark
W7MLG