[time-nuts] Environmental sensor recommendations

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Apr 7 17:14:15 UTC 2018

Hi

Just to be very clear about this issue:

Your room temperature “moves” at a rate dimensioned in degrees / hour (like
2 degrees / hour) and the period should be out in the half hour to couple of
hours range. Put another way, it’s a 1,800 to > 5,000 second sort of thing.

Operating with typical loop parameters, a TBolt is locked to GPS past a few
hundred seconds. The OCXO simply follows whatever the GPS happens to
suggest is correct. The temperature effects (whatever the source) are past
the GPS cutover point.

Unless you are running the TBolt into something other than an OCXO, the
loop will take out *any* of the temperature impacts on the output of the device.
That’s just the way a control loop works. It’s how it was designed to work. It
also is (most likely) why none of this bothered the original design team.

In holdover, you will see / do see / can see the impact of temperature. The
gotcha there is that the TBolt has a temperature sensor on it. In holdover
that sensor “corrects” the EFC voltage. To the degree this process works,
it takes out any temperature impact in holdover. Again, it’s probably why
the original design team felt things were ok.

So, why when you change this or that (like to a different OCXO) does the
temperature sensitivity plot change? Well, if the DAC / reference is the source
of the error *and* you reduce the sensitivity of the OCXO, the temperature
impact *is* reduced. Go to something like a normal 10811 with a 1x10^7 etc
range and the impact should go down by more than an order of magnitude.
LH is *not* lying to you…..

What is a problem: You look at the plot on LH and conclude that the TBolt
is wandering around with temperature changes. That’s not what it’s telling you.
The only thing LH *can* observe with just a TBolt are variations that have
been corrected for by the control loop. If the loop does not correct for them,
the DAC does not change, and LH has nothing to go on. With no data
to indicate a change, LH reports that nothing has happened. Again it’s not
lying to you. It simply can only do just so much with the information it has.

None of this is to say that the various effects are un-interesting. They are
fun to watch. What would be more interesting would be to be able to dig
a bit deeper. We already can go a lot further into a TBolt than any of the
other commercial units. Complaining that we can’t go further is … well …
this is TimeNuts ….

Bob