[time-nuts] Weird Stuff WareHouse shutting down

Jeff Woolsey jlw at jlw.com
Sun Apr 8 19:30:13 UTC 2018

> Thanks
> It has to have been Apex that I visited. The back areas were a mix of open
> sky and sort of sheds.
> The air was typically pretty dry so the stuff held up well.
I did see some populated circuit boards absolutely caked with dirt (was
probably dust at first). Maybe not just outside, either.
> There were
> things I would have liked to have grabbed.
> Could easily see a day digging around.
> Inside its stacked to the 20 ft ceilings and they have ladders like
> you see
> in home depot to get to the top.
I didn't see any ladders, but I didn't look everywhere (too dangerous)
and I wasn't dressed for it.  I told the guy I wasn't tall enough to
shop there (could not read model numbers of test equipment 15 feet up).

I inquired about a Tek 465B ($50) and Tek 1910 ($100).  Those weren't
irresistible bargains, and I'm already trying to fix a similar scope.
Everything is as-is where-is.  Didn't ask about a Tek T932, either.

It reminded me a bit of AxMan Surplus in Minneapolis (where I didn't buy
a 465M for $75, either).

> I did not go to C&H as I simply ran out of time. Pretty good?
I'd say it's an appetizer for the Silicon Valley stores.  (APEX is in a
league of its own.)  I picked up a Fluke 1900A multi-counter for $20
because of the engraved tag on it "GIFT FROM / JOHN FLUKE / MARCH 1986".
There's one left. Alas, they're only 6 digits, but have very sharp LEDs
for kHz, MHz, and Overflow.  A SHARP EL-5120 with LCD faults overpriced
at $5.  And an ailing GC-1000H clock.  Other stuff I took pictures of
include a Fluke 1953A, an HP 8006B? Pulse Generator, an EDC Programmable
DC Voltage Standard, and an external dbx dBm  meter.   There's also a
Tek 7704A with 7A26, 7A15A, 7D11, 7D12/M2 sitting on a 203 scopemobile
(and an empty one with just plugins (5B31, 7B80, 7A12, 7A19)) outside
the front door (much like Halted/HSC did at their previous location) for
$50 (just the 7704A).  I didn't have room in the car for it.

C&H days/hours are limited; I lucked out.

--
Jeff Woolsey {{woolsey,jlw}@jlw,first.last@{gmail,jlw}}.com
Nature abhors straight antennas, clean lenses, and empty storage.