[time-nuts] TCVCXO Adjustment

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Apr 11 01:12:34 UTC 2018

Hi

In a commercial setting calibration would be done against a local standard.
It might be checked with a counter. It also might be checked against something
more complex.

A reasonable level of calibration would be 0.1 ppm. Anything much more accurate
than that would be quickly swamped by the temperature coefficient of a typical TCXO.

Simply put, 0.1 ppm is 1 microsecond over 10 seconds. If your time code is capable of
resolving 1 us, monitor the output of the board for 10 seconds. If it is lower accuracy,
the time period would be longer. It does get a bit impractical on something like a 1 ms
code ….

The sensitivity of the TCXO should be reasonably well understood. That should give
you a ppm / bit sort of number. As an example, a 10 ppm trim range might not be
that crazy. Your 12 bit DAC would give you roughly 0.01 ppm per bit.

Since your typical PC does not have anything in it that is accurate to 0.1 ppm, you
still need something as a reference to compare things to. A GPS module or a GPSDO
are probably the easiest things to get ahold of.

Bob