[time-nuts] Any guesses as to how Citizen is claiming ±1 second/year with using this AT-cut 8.4MHz XTAL?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Apr 11 20:24:19 UTC 2018

Hi

Guess at the aging

Cut the crystal so it’s fairly flat at 25 to 35C

Do a basic / simple temperature compensation (TCXO)

…. and count on the errors to average out.

The success of all that will depend a lot on how close your wrist is to the
environment they used for their guesswork. Did they count on you taking
the watch off at night or not? What temperature is the room at? …..

Before you say it can’t be done, the whole “average out” thing is how time
pieces have been done for hundreds of years. The device may swing this
way and that …. done properly it eventually averages out. How well it works
for you … that depends.

Bob