[time-nuts] RINEX for Android

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 12 16:51:01 UTC 2018

On 4/12/18 6:57 AM, Ole Petter Rønningen wrote:
> I think teqc.exe can read ubx-files directly
>
> Ole
>
>> 12. apr. 2018 kl. 12:46 skrev jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net>:
>>
>> It turns out that some of the newer Android phones support an API which returns raw GNSS data and that can be logged to a file in RINEX format. There's a few apps out there that do this although I've not tried it (my Samsung S6 doesn't have the right hardware).
>>
>> In any case, it might be interesting, if you have one of these devices, to let it log for a while, with the phone in a fixed place, and then post process the data.
>>
>> I ran across this when looking for software to generate RINEX files from data from NEO-7 GPS modules (which I'm still looking for)
>>
>> _

I'm working in a Beaglebone environment - ARM, Debian- so the Windows
tools don't work.  Before I go out and write python code to push
characters out the serial port and get the output, I was hoping that
someone had done some of this before.. I can do the conversion from a
binary file to RINEX somewhere else.

rtklib might do the trick, but might also be overkill.  It seems that
all I need to do is send the right strings to the GPS and it will start
spitting out the right binary messages, which I then capture and post
process. (perhaps using rtklib's utility to do binary to RINEX).