[time-nuts] lady heather on headless linux box

Douglas Bercich doug at dbxsys.com
Fri Apr 20 14:03:21 UTC 2018

Disclaimer: my only experience with LH is on a Windows box, but I have a lot of experience pushing bits around on Unix platforms. So, here goes the 5000’ overview...

On the LH box:
It can be headless, but needs all the X11 dependencies that make LH work; supporting libraries, etc. it does NOT need an actual X server or GUI installed.

On the remote box:
You need an X Server installed and obviously graphical capability. Then the procedure - generally - is to ssh into the LH box with X11 forwarding enabled. Then you execute LH and it’s display shows up on the remote box. There are security details with this; you’ll probably need to type a command to allow the LH box to connect to your X server.

There are other ways of making the connection using xdm and such as well. It really depends on what exactly you’re dealing with.