[time-nuts] Cheap jitter measurements

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Apr 25 22:35:28 UTC 2018

Hi Gary,

> As requested, here is my raw data: http://pi5.rellim.com/1d.log.gz

I'm having a close look. These are quite a few bad data points and that partly explains why your ADEV plots were off. Trim the file at, say, line 71000 and try again; the results will be much better.

I'll post an in-depth report later. There are interesting things in the data. You're going to have lots of fun with your new TICC and GPS boards...

> I'd love to use TimeLab, or Stable32.  But they seem to be closed source,

Nope, not closed source.

John Miles includes all the source in the TimeLab installation.
http://www.ke5fx.com/timelab/readme.htm
Ask him for a zip of the installation if you can't/won't run the setup exe.

Bill Riley very recently donated his Stable32 source tree to IEEE and so that tool joins the club too.
https://ieee-uffc.org/frequency-control/frequency-control-software/stable32/
Not sure where the source repo is but someone on the list will know, or know when it will be ready. Long thread here:
https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2018-January/108320.html

Someone who routinely uses these apps on non-Windows or non-x86 machines can comment on how to do it.

/tvb