[time-nuts] Question about frequency counter testing

Oleg Skydan olegskydan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 16:32:38 UTC 2018

From: "Azelio Boriani" <azelio.boriani at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 10:06 AM

> Very fast time-stamping like a stable 5GHz counter?
No, it is not 5GHz counter. It does the trick I first saw in CNT91
counters. The hardware is capable of capturing up to 10 millions
of timestamps per second and calculating LR "on the fly".

The plots I showed were made with approx. 5*10^6 timestamps
per second, so theoretically I should get approx. 4ps equivalent
resolution (or 11+ significant digits in one second).

> The resolution of
> a 200ps (one shot) interpolator can be replaced by a 5GHz
> time-stamping counter.
I am not interesting in measuring timings of the single event,
and I did not try to make a full featured timer-counter-analyser.
It is just a high resolution RF frequency counter with very
simple all digital hardware.

Oleg