[time-nuts] Question about frequency counter testing

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 27 19:46:50 UTC 2018

Hi

As you have noticed already, it is amazingly easy to get data plots with more than the
real number and less than the real number of digits. Only careful analysis of the underlying
hardware and firmware will lead to an accurate estimate of resolution.

This is by no means unique to what you are doing. Commercial counters are
very often falling into this trap. If you hook up a SR-620 to it’s internal standard,
you will see a *lot* of very perfect looking digits …. they aren’t real. The HP 5313x
counters have issues with integer related inputs / reference. This isn’t easy.

Bob