[time-nuts] Cheap jitter measurements

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 29 18:30:16 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 04/26/2018 12:35 AM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
>> As requested, here is my raw data: http://pi5.rellim.com/1d.log.gz
>
> I'm having a close look. These are quite a few bad data points and that partly explains why your ADEV plots were off. Trim the file at, say, line 71000 and try again; the results will be much better.
>
> I'll post an in-depth report later. There are interesting things in the data. You're going to have lots of fun with your new TICC and GPS boards...
>
>> I'd love to use TimeLab, or Stable32.  But they seem to be closed source,
>
> Nope, not closed source.
>
> John Miles includes all the source in the TimeLab installation.
> http://www.ke5fx.com/timelab/readme.htm
> Ask him for a zip of the installation if you can't/won't run the setup exe.

It installs nicely with wine.

> Bill Riley very recently donated his Stable32 source tree to IEEE and so that tool joins the club too.
> https://ieee-uffc.org/frequency-control/frequency-control-software/stable32/
> Not sure where the source repo is but someone on the list will know, or know when it will be ready. Long thread here:
> https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2018-January/108320.html

What you get from IEEE is the compiled format.
There is a non-public repo for the sources, with the aim of maintaining
it into the future.

In the package of sources exists a Linux port of the FrequenC library,
and Python wrapper.

Should get back to that code and effort.

> Someone who routinely uses these apps on non-Windows or non-x86 machines can comment on how to do it.

I've used them both under Wine for Linux, and that helped me greatly.

Cheers,
Magnus