[time-nuts] More Galileo satellites available.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 5 18:28:08 UTC 2018

Hi

There are multi GNSS receivers out there. Some may do Galileo. That’s
different than a multi-band (L1 / L2 / L5) receiver that will do Galileo. Since
the band naming conventions change between systems, even working out
what’s what is a bit exciting.

Galileo is a bit more “closed source” than the other systems. If you want to do
this or that, there’s a license fee. The more you want to do, the more it costs
to license your design. Like the other systems, they also have restrictions on
some signals ( = not for civilian use).

Bob

> On Aug 5, 2018, at 12:40 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Bob you sure about that?
> I could have sworn a multi-band receiver was on ebay for $32.
> Made special in N Korea.
> That said I guess I will stick with the always working simple GPS for now.
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 12:43 PM, Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

>>> On Aug 5, 2018, at 11:04 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mark
>>> I have several questions.
>>> Would we observe and be able to take advantage of the better clock.
>>
>> Right now … now so much
>>
>>> Or is
>>> that lost in the various other transmission effects?
>>
>> Modeling matters a lot, they are still working the kinks out of that part
>> of it.
>>
>>> If better what would it take to have a reference built up leveraging
>> that?
>>
>> A multi-band receiver that picks up all three bands ( and is licensed to
>> do so …
>> a whole other issue) probably is the first link in the chain.
>>
>>> Perhaps a precision timing receiver.
>>
>> Right now, a “typical” multi band receiver is in the > $10K range. Some
>> are
>> two to three times that.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>> I stop there because that opens up
>>> several ways to leverage the 1PPS or perhaps the code clock.
>>> Regards
>>> Paul