[time-nuts] Question about effect of spurious frequency modulation on Allan Deviation

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Aug 6 23:03:47 UTC 2018

Surely all that's required is a simplistic worst case analysis.
Just assume that the value of Tau is always the worst possible so the full effect of the modulation is always seen.

If the worst case phase modulation is say phi

then the worst case ADEV (Tau) will be proportional to phi*T/Tau
where T is the nominal signal period.

i.e. ADEV(Tau) < constant*phi*T/Tau

Bruce