[time-nuts] Loss of NIST transmitters at Colorado and Hawaii

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Aug 13 04:28:25 UTC 2018

On 8/12/2018 6:55 PM, John C. Westmoreland, P.E. wrote:
> I hope this does not happen.  I get questions from new Hams that ask, 'How
> can I check my antenna easily?' - the quick reply is to check for WWV on
> 2.5, 5,0, 10.0, 15.0 and 20.0 MHz.

W1AW is far more useful to check ham antennas, since it broadcasts
on ham bands, so that isn't a useful argument.

OTOH, the argument that it is OK to obsolete millions of "atomic"
clocks because of NTP is also weak.  The present WWVB solution
is "just right" for the problem; the vast majority of users
don't need more accuracy.

Rick N6RK