[time-nuts] NIST

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 13 12:39:47 UTC 2018

On 8/12/18 8:40 AM, Craig Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I agree with Bob that shutting down WWVB would not go over well with the voters but losing WWV and WWVH will mainly be noticed only by HAMs.

WWV/WWVH also provides HF propagation forecasts, severe weather warnings
for mariners, etc., as well as being a propagation beacon.

I don't think HF communications is completely going away - it's unique
in not requiring any infrastructure to achieve world-wide communications
other than the two endpoints of the link.

It's probably a smaller population than radio amateurs, but there are
people who work with HF propagation on a day to day basis. For example,
if Rocketlabs ever gets their act together and launches a couple more
rockets, I'll have a spacecraft in LEO for which I intend to use WWV and
WWVH as calibration sources.