[time-nuts] Loss of NIST transmitters at Colorado and Hawaii

Scott McGrath scmcgrath at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 15:15:47 UTC 2018

This has ‘empty suit’ written all over it ,’move it to the $BUZZWORD

Yes the LORAN shutdown was more impactful from a time transfer PoV but the NIST transmitters provide a crude backup and valuable scientific data with a long baseline

In NH we’ve had an unusually severe summer WRT weather events I normally have FIOS based 1gb internet connection which has now been down for 6 weeks.   It might be restored this week because new poles have been installed.

So Wife still has TV only because I maintained our satellite/Terrestrial system in readiness.

As for internet well I’m still running on a couple of Cradlepoint LTE gateways with yagi’s pointing at nearest tower and available bandwidth ranges from 100kb to 5mb with wild swings.

Putting all ones technical eggs in one basket is a bad idea from an operational and technical point of view.

What happens if a solar storm makes civillian GPS unavailable,   Hmm. Cell networks start going down as the GPSDO’s start drifting,  Kerberos authenticators begin to fail as wide area networks depending on GPS derived timing begin to drift (servers have CHEAP oscillators).

The rush to GPS based network timing is not a good idea,   We should be adding more wide area frequency sources not taking them away.

The NIST transmitters are very useful in calculating propagation and some sites have decades of data on this so its worth having them around for purely scientific reasons even though the technology of time and frequency transfer have moved forward.

Content by Scott
Typos by Siri