[time-nuts] solar flares and time references Re: NIST

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 13 19:04:31 UTC 2018

On 8/13/18 6:52 AM, Peter Laws wrote:

> As for solar flares taking out the various GNSSs ... wouldn't a solar
> flare only take out the vehicles that were on the "sunny" side of the
> Earth?  Wouldn't the (approximately) half of the SVs that are in the
> Earth's shadow be unaffected?  Serious technical question - I have no
> idea.

Actually, it's the particles associated with the solar flare that cause
the problem, and they move substantially slower than the speed of light
(it takes hours to days), and they spread out a lot in time.

There's a plot at the wikipedia page on flares

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_flare#/media/File:ExtremeEvent_20120304-00h_20120317-24h.jpg

You can see the proton flux is spread out over many hours

  (I'm project manager for constellation of satellites we're going to
fly to do radio interferometry imaging of the sun at HF for Coronal Mass
Ejections.. time tags are important to us)