[time-nuts] EFOS2 Maser acting up :(

cdelect at juno.com cdelect at juno.com
Mon Aug 13 20:07:15 UTC 2018

Hi,

The EFOS2 Maser is having an "issue", the I.F.level is intermittently
fluctuating and sometimes drops all the way to zero. I've always wanted
to see the "raw" output from the cavity so now was my chance! Installed
two SMA cables  bringing the output of the circulator and the input to
the LNA out to where I can get at them. Managed to catch it at zero and
hooked a Spec-A to the output of the circulator. Hooray, The Maser cavity
output is good, so the problem lies downstream. Installed a directional
coupler between the two lines looking back into the LNA. Can see a
healthy 1440 Mhz L.O. leakage and logged a reference level. Now just
waiting for it to drop again and see if it's the L.O. If not I'll have to
dive in again and move my monitor SMAs to look at the 19.6...Mhz I.F.
signal. Pix shows the cavity signal on the spec-A.

Cheers,

Corby