[time-nuts] NIST

Scott McGrath scmcgrath at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 23:48:28 UTC 2018

WRT my sextant comment,   How many pilots or sailors can navigate by ‘shooting the sun/stars’.  They have become dependent on precision navigation systems.

Which of course feeds the thinking by empty suits why do we need lighthouses, buoys, VOR’s and airway beacons because we have the ‘god box’ onboard.   Its old fashioned and uncool.

 Interestingly enough there have been enough GPS ‘outages’ that the USNO is once again requiring proficiency in celestial navigation in order to graduate food for thought there.

I was initially speaking about loss of GPS due to natural causes.   In times of international tension attacking a country by denying its ONLY source of precision time transfer would be a particularly effective tactic and you dont even have to damage the satellites themselves.   Just jam L1

As to relying on systems operated by one’s political adversaries that does not seem to be a wise option.

So once again for US’ians time to pick up the phone and put pen to paper and state while the US budget is bloated.   This particular item NEEDS to stay.   Find a vanity construction project and make it disappear instead.   And point out the technical reasons it needs to stay.

Scott