[time-nuts] EFOS2 Maser acting up :(

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 00:54:31 UTC 2018

Corby,

What's the H flow rate control doing when the IF level goes down, or
increases, depending?

Prior to retirement, I was the "Keeper of The Clock" at my job, which
entailed riding herd on
our Symmetricom H-Maser (among other things).  At one point about five
years ago, the
IF amplitude began oscillating up and down a few percent, with a period of
around 11 days.
This behavior commenced rather abruptly.  Nothing that was visibly
disruptive to the usefulness
of the system, but definitely worrisome.  The folks at Symmetricom had no
idea what might be
going on, and all they could suggest was "watchful waiting".  I was still
waiting watchfully
when I retired some four years later.  This maser regulates the IF
amplitude via a feedback
loop which adjusts the H flow rate by adjusting power to a heater on a Pd
disk "filter" in the
H path.  I suspect that something has gone wrong in that feedback loop,
such as a capacitor
failure spoiling the loop dynamics, but could not justify shutting down the
system while I
troubleshot the problem.  So I just kept management apprised of the
situation, as well as the
guy who replaced me when I retired.

But if you have a log of internal goings on, as I did, it might well be
informative to study how
other internal parameters varied when your IF amplitude hiccups occurred.

Dana