[time-nuts] 1PPS for the beginner

Chris Burford cburford1 at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 02:16:55 UTC 2018

Hello members,

At the risk of personal embarrassment and perhaps a chuckle, or two, I'm going to ask the following questions about 1PPS.

I have a (generic?) GPSDO which contains an Oscilloquartz STAR 4+ OCXO that I am using to steer a PRS10 RFS. I'm a little confused on where the 1PPS is coming from with respect to the GPSDO. Is the 1PPS in the RF signal from the satellite data stream or does it originate from the OCXO oscillation?

This I'm sure is quite trivial for most of the members here but I am trying to understand certain concepts, processes and terminology along the way. I look forward to anyone who cares to share their comments.

Thanks for assistance.

Chris Burford <time-nut wannabe>